Dating 100 mile house
In addition to being a rough and tumble mining camp, Breckenridge was also a Victorian town where gentlemen and ladies socialized at each others’ homes.
One of the largest and best-appointed houses was owned by socialites William and Kathleen Briggle.
Museum staff and volunteers present many educational programs, special events, summer day camp, childrens' and adult craft classes, and changing exhibits. For the remainder of the 20th Century, the Humphreys lived and ranched the beautiful Evergreen land, adding on to the original log cabin and raising horses, burros, goats and other small animals.
Hiwan's restored 1890-1930 era rooms illustrate a comfortable style of early mountain summer home living. Today the ranch buildings, the house museum, the gift shop, and the remaining 43 acres comprise the Humphrey Memorial Park and Museum. Some of the buildings are in their original locations, others were moved from the surrounding areas to the park.
In 1898, they bought an 1896 one-room log cabin and immediately enlarged it by six rooms downstairs and three rooms upstairs.
The exterior of the house was adorned to signify wealth and prominence.
This distinctive house museum has been beautifully restored to the period between 19, and it is decorated with the original furnishings.
The house was built in 1883 by Rocky Mountain News publisher Williams Byers and sold in 1889 to the family of William Gray Evans, an officer of the Denver Tramway Company.Carter became a taxidermist and collected thousands of Rocky Mountain animal specimens in his museum, which doubled as his home.Scientists from all over the world came to Breckenridge to see Carter’s collection.It was a welcome site for the weary travelers, a place to wash off the trail dust, have a drink of cool fresh water, find a home-cooked meal, or spend the night before heading in to Denver.The house was built in 1859 by the Brantner brothers who planned to settle in the area.